What are kidney stones?
The kidney stone diet must contain high calcium, low sodium, low refined sugar, normal protein, and flexible oxalate management which depends on how high urine oxalate is once high dietary calcium is achieved, and of course high fluid intake.
What does a healthy renal diet consist of?
A dietitian is the best person to consult for a customized healthy renal diet as per the needs of the individual keeping all the blood test values and condition of kidneys in mind.
However, with a very commonly occurring disease of kidney like developing stones in the kidneys few diet suggestions are as follows:
- A diet sufficiently high calcium (1000 to 1200 mg) and low sodium (1500 to 2300 mg) levels along with oxalate amount confined to 50 to 200 mg daily. Obtaining theses from natural plant-based foods is the best for health. Also consuming oxalates in combination with calcium in a single meal is preferable so that calcium can bind with the oxalate during digestion and its elimination occurs via digestive system instead of a renal system.
- Low intake of refined sugars especially < 10 percent of daily carbohydrates is preferable. This can be done by reducing the consumption of sweets like cookies, candies, cakes, and pies. Consuming natural sweet foods like fruits is the best way to curb sweet cravings in a healthy way.
- Be watchful while consuming the protein and especially about its source. Eating even few ounces of red meat, fish, chicken, and other animal proteins may lead to more uric acid or cystine stones in kidneys. Vegetable protein sources like Greek yogurt and quinoa etc. are preferable as animal protein replacements.
- Keep your body hydrated to keep the body urine diluted. This helps to avoid crystallization of excess salts present in the body which otherwise in absence of water tend to accumulate over the time and form stones in the kidneys. High fluid intake ensures the salts keep on dissolving and are eliminated out from the body time to time.
What to eat as a routine diet if you are experiencing the kidney stones?
- Try opting for healthy oils in cooking food and in salads like Olive Oil, and also adding up Apple Cider Vinegar or lemon juice to salads can be good for taste buds for a change and better for curing the stones.
- Uva Ursi is known to help with kidney stones as a common remedy among the folks. It helps in reducing infection and relieves discomfort and cleanses the entire urinary tract. Taking nearly 500 mg of it thrice a day is known to help with the kidney stones.
- Dandelion Root is one of the few organic roots with benefits to cleansing the kidneys and urinary system. It even helps to obtain back the normal functioning of the kidneys. Taking 500 mg of it twice a day can help with the kidney stones.
- Kidney Beans have the potential to help in kidney stones. It is an excellent source of magnesium and helps and prevents stone symptoms. It is being used since traditional time since their name also suggests a link with kidneys. So they help in getting the normal functioning of kidneys. A concentrated solution can be made by boiling the kidneys beans for few hours in the water and then later after straining and cooling the solution drinking it for whole day sip by sip may help with kidney stone pain and other symptoms.
- Horsetail tea is known as an effective diuretic which can help in flushing out excess toxins like uric acid, cystine, oxalate, and water. It is available as capsules also besides tea anything is preferable to speed up the waste removal from the body.
- Pomegranate Juice is a natural delicious remedy to help with the kidney stones. Its sour and astringent natural properties help in ease the symptoms of stones and help in proper functioning of the kidneys.
- Insoluble fiber-rich foods intake must be increased. It is mainly a plant part which is not properly digested in the body. The fiber did not dissolve in the water and is present in foods like barley, wheat, rye, and rice. It helps in calcium reduction in the urine by binding with the free available calcium in the intestine and hence is passed out in the stools.
- Vitamin C rich fruits is a must be in the diet. Fruits like berries mainly cranberries, cherries, blueberries, and apples, lemons, oranges, and all other vitamin C rich sources of food are full of antioxidant which help in the kidney stones. Cranberries even prevent the infections of the bladder by preventing bacteria sticking to the walls of the bladder.
- Basil Tea and various other herbal green teas must be preferred over any coffee. Basil tea helps in kidney functioning and must be taken as a source of for balancing the excess fluids, minerals, and uric acid in the body. Basil juice has magic properties of even helping in the stone expulsion from urinary tract of the body.
Drink fruit-infused drinks:
Avoid carbonated and excessive sugar-infused drinks. You must completely avoid unhealthy drinks like colas containing soda and few energy drinks. Consider the processed sugar-rich juices and other beverages as unhealthy options to drink. Instead, go for freshly cut fruits added to water left over for few hours and then drink this refreshing infused water with a flavor of fruits.
Always keep in mind that maintaining an ounce of extra weight is far worth than losing a pound of weight. So better go for healthy eating habits and maintain weight early than to later go all the way to lose the entire weight and curing its associated diseases. Weight loss is essential to keep all diseases at bay and kidney stone is no exception to it. Also, eating few right things can help curing and even preventing future kidney stone recurrence risks.