How is body weight calculated?
Body mass index (BMI) is measuring scale to identify if a person is underweight, overweight or obese or healthy. Underweight kids indicate a BMI below the 5th percentile, on the other hand, healthy weight kids show BMI value between the 5th to < 85th percentile, and beyond 85th to < 95th percentile value indicates being overweight and above the 95th percentile, the value of BMI indicates an obese.
For adults if BMI is 18.5th percentile person is considered to be underweight, BMI range between 18.5th to 24.9th percentile indicates healthy weight, BMI value between 25th to 29.9th percentile indicates overweight, and BMI of 30th percentile above indicates obese. Also in case of the children, BMI percentile value is calculated by comparison of child’s BMI to the relative growth charts available for same age and sex group. It is essential to get a regular routine body check up for ruling out any overweight or obesity conditions especially in the growing kids. As it might affect their development and even academics can be affected due to any obesity linked depression in the growing children.
What is an under-weight condition?
Thin and lean body usually indicates an underweight condition. Few people do not put on weight even if they eat fatty diets. They have less body mass and bones and joints appear too large and prominent than usual. Other more prominent symptoms of the underweight condition include- fertility problems in females along with irregular menstrual periods, hair loss, weak immune system, dizziness, extreme fatigue, and anemia, fragile bones and joints, poor development and growth of the body.
This condition usually affects the kids due to being malnutrition or due to imbalance diet plan followed by them or due to any underlying disease conditions. The best possible way to get this condition diagnosed is to see a physician. A physician can evaluate all health parameters and identify this problem as per BMI values of the person. In case any underlying diseases like thyroid disease, cancer or digestive problems are the real cause of under-weight situation it can be fairly analyzed by the physician.
The behavioral causes like stress and depression might also exist as the reason of underweight condition among the children as well. Hereditary governance of genes also plays a vital role in the weight of the body and activity levels performed by the body.
What is an over-weight condition?
The over-weight condition is simply a disorder of possessing an excessive amount of body fat than required. It is not a simple cosmetic concern for a person. An overweight person has an increased risk of other health problems and diseases mainly cardiac diseases, blood pressure problems, diabetes condition, and other weight-related complications.
It involves the unhealthy distribution of fat all over the body and fat mainly accumulates in the belly region, arms, thighs, and hips. An overweight situation if not controlled leads to obesity which further complicates and invites company of several other diseases. Increased waist circumference is a clear sign of obesity. However, the right amount of weight loss can reverse the damage done to the body and makes a person active again and decreases risks of other diseases as well.
It requires constant determination, along with some diet and lifestyle changes. Today with the modernization in the field of medicine several prescription medicines and weight loss surgeries are available for the treatment of obesity however they do accompany with their few after effects. Best is to go for a natural way if that works for you although it might take a good time to show the effects.
Obesity if not taken care of at early stages might lead to the following complications:
- Emotional health issues as it might lead to low self-esteem and depression even, especially in teenagers and children since they are not aware of how to handle the situations and looks becomes a priority for them. Counseling along with treatment of obesity might be required to boost their confidence levels.
- It can also end up in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease further complicating the obesity situation.
- Cardiac and blood pressure issues due to obesity might end up in atherosclerosis, heart attacks, and even stroke.
- Type 2 diabetes might come after a prolong obesity and it might further affect the kidneys and other organ functioning in the body.
- Overweight might overburden the body and lead to aches and pain in back and legs.
- Respiratory diseases like asthma, obesity hypoventilation syndrome and obstructive sleep apnea might also arise as a complication.
- The chronic condition of osteoarthritis might also happen over a prolong obesity condition. In this, the cartilage and bone of the joints are affected by the chronic inflammation caused by severe pain as the joints are burdened up with excess body weight for long periods of time. It might even require knee replacement surgery if the condition is severe.
- Gallbladder disease is also one of the complications of obesity.
- Prolonged obesity tends to weaken the pelvic muscles of the body and make it hard for them to control urination leading to urinary incontinence problems. It usually affects the elderly women with obesity however the males are also not spared from it.
- Cancer of various organs might also b the result of obesity. Pancreatic cancer, colon cancer, rectum cancer, esophageal cancer and even cancers of kidney, ovaries, liver, and breast might occur as a complication.
- Many digestive disorders are also due to obesity.
What are the signs and symptoms of obesity?
The first and foremost sign of obesity is possession of beyond average body weight due to unhealthy fat distribution all over the body.
An obese person usually experiences following problems as an indication of obesity:
- Sleep apnea or trouble in sleeping. This happens mainly due to obesity-related breathing problems. Irregular breathing patrons don’t let a person get a required sound sleep.
- SOB or Shortness of breath is accompanied by any activities and even while performing simple daily chores of going upstairs and walking around.
- A varicose vein is another painful symptom of obesity in which veins of the body mainly legs are swelled up due to some blockages inside them. In this veins can be clearly seen as they pop out prominently from the skin.
- Skin problems and mainly infections are also caused due to the accumulation of moisture under the triple folds of hanging skin.
- Gallstones can also happen in obese patients.
- Increased level of blood sugar, cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure levels prominently indicates an obese situation.
- The problem in knees due to arthritis of the joints which is caused by burdening the knees with excessive weight of the body for a prolonged period or for a span of few years.
Eating in the right proportion is essential to obtain a healthy body. This even helps is avoiding obesity-related health diseases.