Maintaining a healthy diet for pregnant women is the top priority. A woman must look after her diet plan and must intake only those foods that are good for her health. In this post, you will learn about a top healthy diet plan that you should follow during pregnancy.
When a woman becomes pregnant, her body needs additional nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. In fact, she may need extra calorie like 350–500 extra especially during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy.
A good diet just not maintains a pregnant woman’s health but the diet also ensures that your baby grows and develops healthy and properly.
The first step towards a healthy diet is to be balanced and rich in nutrients. Therefore, a good diet must include the right balance of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. It should also include a wide variety of nuts, green vegetables, and fruits. Besides that, a pregnant woman needs to visit the doctor for a regular check-up as well.
Thus, before you learn about the healthy diet plan, read here some facts on eating healthy.
Facts about Eating During Pregnancy
- An unhealthy diet may have a negative impact on the baby’s growth.
- Poor and bad eating habits might also increase the chances of gestational diabetes and may develop baby’s birth complications.
- A good and nutrients rich diet will make it easy for you to lose weight after delivering the baby.
- The consumption of calories intake grows during pregnancy and reaches up to a few hundred calories a day.
- During pregnancy, a woman’s body starts absorbing more iron and blood volume increases.
Healthy Diet for Pregnant Women
Here are 5 highly nutritious foods that pregnant women must eat.
Dairy products are full of nutrients, protein, and calcium. Your growing fetus requires extra protein and calcium which can be met through any dairy products. These products meet up your requirement of high-quality protein, phosphorus, various B vitamins, magnesium, and zinc.
Here are some dairy products you can include in your meal.
Fruits and Vegetables
If you want to get the real source of vitamins then aim for five proportions of fruit and vegetables for a single day. The fruit and vegetables are available in the form of juice, dried, canned, frozen, or fresh. This means you can try any of these forms. Thus, get instant higher levels of vitamins and nutrients.
Best fruits and vegetables to eat:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Bell peppers
- Green peas
- Dark leafy greens
Always eat a healthy and balanced diet. The best way is to include protein in the top form. A protein-rich diet is a must for women especially the animal-sourced protein. The animal-sourced protein includes:
- lean meat
Vegan pregnant women can consider the below foods as a good source of protein:
- Quinoa – This is a “complete protein” rich food that includes all the essential amino acids
- Tofu and soy products
- nut butter
A food without iron diet will be incomplete for pregnant women. If a mother is anaemic then it may have bad repercussions on the baby’s health as she loses a lot of blood when she gives birth which may make her more anemic.
A mother needs to include iron-rich food in her diet such as:
- Egg yolk
- Liver (but doctors recommend to avoid liver as it is high in vitamin A, which may harm the baby)
- Lean meat
- Oysters (But it should be cooked Oysters)
- Lamb, pork, and shellfish also contain iron
Vegan women can try the below foods for iron:
- Dried beans
- Dried fruits, such as apricots
- Whole grain cereals
- Legumes such as lima beans, soybeans, kidney beans, dried beans, and peas.
- Seeds such as Brazil nuts and almonds.
- Vegetables especially the dark green leafy vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, dandelion leaves, asparagus, collards, and kale.
Bread and Grains
The main source of energy for pregnant women comes from essential carbohydrates found in bread and grains. Whole grain is one important and enriched diet that includes vitamin B, iron, fiber, and some protein, that makes one healthy and fit.
You can even get folic acid from fortified bread and cereal. For a daily diet and depending on your weight and dietary requirements, you must consume between 6-11 servings of bread/grains.
You must include the following bread and grains in your diet plan:
- Brown rice
The above dietary food will help women get a balanced diet that aids her and baby’s health.
Foods to Avoid For Pregnant Women
Here are some best food ideas that a mother must avoid during her pregnancy phase:
- Avoid eating fish that has mercury shark, swordfish, and such as a shark, swordfish, and marlin.
- Uncooked or partially cooked meat must be avoided especially shellfish as it contains a huge bacterial or viral contamination that may make food poisonous.
- Raw eggs or food that has partially cooked eggs in them.
- Avoid eating pate whether vegetable or meat as it may cause listeria infection.
- No calorie foods such as cakes, biscuits, cookies, chips, and candy should be consumed to the minimum.
Thus, to stay healthy and stress-free pregnancy, avoid the above foods and inculcate only healthy food diet in your schedule. A healthy diet just not improves your health but is the main source of the baby’s nourishment.