Neck pain is a common problem. It may occur due to gazing at computers, staring down at your smartphones. It also includes improper body posture. Reports even say that nearly 20 percent of people experience pain in the neck within three months of unhealthy posture. To know more about neck pain and how to treat it at home, read the post below.
Your neck is made of vertebrae that reaches the skull to the upper torso. Cervical discs in the body can absorb the shock between the bones.
Causes of Neck Pain
The neck problem may also be the result of bones, tendons, and muscles of your neck support. It may also be the result of abnormalities, swelling, or wounds. Besides the improper sitting posture or bending down, neck pain can also occur due to the result of weakening muscles over time.
In many cases, neck pain is not a serious problem. And the patient can get relieved in a few days. On the other hand, some neck pain can be serious and might need an immediate doctor’s care.
So, in case you have pain in the neck for more than a week, try some home remedies. Apply these treatment options at home for instant relief.
How to Ease Neck Pain at Home?
If you face minor neck pain or stiffness, opt for these simple methods to get instant relief:
Perform Stretching Exercise
Put your monitor/computer at eye level. It should not be too low or too high. Also, avoid the twist and turn of your head down or sideways when working on the computer.
You can perform these stretches at your desk. You can perform anywhere else also if you feel comfortable:
- Roll down your shoulder backward and downwards 10 times.
- Crush your shoulder edges at the back together for 10 times.
- Sit on a chair and push your head at the back and stay there for 30 seconds.
- Bring down your ear towards your shoulder 10 times on each side.
Sit at a Comfortable Position at the Workplace
Many people work in the office on their computer desk for 8 hours a day. The long hours sitting job can cause strain in the neck. Hence, it can cause other ailments. Here are some ways through which you can reduce the pain. Also, you can prevent stiffness.
- First, adjust the chair and sit in a comfortable position with feet’s touching the floor and knees slightly lower than hips.
- Practice ergonomic posture while sitting and keep your back straight and arms level towards the desk.
- Keep your eye levels matching the computer screens.
- Take a special ergonomic keyboard and mouse.
- Stand, move or stretch every one hour.
Be Careful while you Sleep
If your neck is bothering you and giving you sleepless nights, you must change your sleeping position. By keeping the right posture of your back and neck, you can prevent neck pain.
Follow the below ways to ease the pain in the neck:
- Sleep side-ways or on your back.
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach as you may twist your head on one side or the other at a time.
- Sleeping on your stomach can also harm your low back as the belly sinks into the bed.
Other Tricks to Treat Neck Pain
In case you have minor pain in the neck, then you can try these simple remedies at home:
- Apply heat or ice on the painful areas for a few days.
- Avoid talking on the phone by keeping it between your neck and shoulder.
- Keep the ice at the painful area for 48 to 72 hours. And then use heat after that.
- You can apply heat by taking warm showers or by keeping a heating pad at your neck.
- Do not keep the heating pad or ice bag for a long time. It may cause skin injuries.
- Take medication such as OTC pain relievers like ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
- Move your neck in all directions slowly. And avoid any jerk or painful activities.
- Follow slow-motion exercise, up, down, side to side, and ear to ear. This exercise will help in stretching and keeping neck muscles relaxed.
- Take a gentle massage in the tender or painful parts.
- Avoid indulging in sports, activities, and heavy lifting that increases your pain.
- Sleep on a tight mattress without a pillow or use any special neck reliever pillow.
- Avoid the usage of a neck brace or collar without the doctor’s advice.
Therefore, these tips will help in reducing pain. And you could easily move your neck in all directions in no time.
Next time when you get a stiff neck, take the right measures to prevent the pain.