Everyone is familiar with the distinct yellow color of Norflox TZ tablet. We know its shape and smell by heart. We have been using this certain medication since childhood, once we declared that we were suffering from diarrhea. Other mothers will never know which episode was a genuine one and which was, faked to avoid going to school on a certain nasty day. Anyway, we gobbled these tablets obediently and waited for our loose motions to improve, which happened efficiently.
While we have played around that yellow tablet, we never wondered of all its properties. Let us know about some uses, benefits and side effects of our Diarrhea Tablet.
Uses of Norflox TZ
Our lovely tablet is a warrior against many known ferocious bacteria, especially the bad gram-negative bacteria that cause infections such as UTI, Traveler’s Diarrhea and Enterocolitis. They have been a source of solace to our mothers, their sole weapon against our diarrhea.
We have to understand that an antibiotic with such amazing effects has a broad range of uses, a few of which are mention below:
Urinary Tract Infection:
UTI, by far, utilizes Norflox TZ the most. By the grace of God, a lot of organisms causing UTI are sensitive to Norflox TZ, and hence we can apply it to obtain gratifying results. E. coli, Enterococcus, Pseudomonas, Klebsiella, ETEC E. coli are a few examples of organisms that fear Norflox TZ.
A large number of other conditions, such as urethritis, cystitis, pyelonephritis, cervicitis, epididymitis and other inflammatory conditions of genitor-urinary tract are effectively treated by Norflox TZ.
- It is used as a prophylactic antibiotic against SBP, which stands for Spontaneous Bacterial Peritonitis, which takes place when a patient suffering from ascites develops an infection and this results in the infection and inflammation of the peritoneum, which is a membrane in our abdomen. It is essential to run prophylaxis to prevent SBP, otherwise, the patient can land in a plethora of complications, even leading to sepsis and shock.
- Norflox can also be used in Typhoid, also known as the Enteric Fever in common language. This is a wretched disease which makes the patient very weak and gives a lot of crampy abdominal pain and is often recurrent these days. Although the drug of choice for Typhoid organism Salmonella Typhi is a Third Generation Cephalosporin like Ciprofloxacin, strains that are susceptible to Norflox TZ can easily be, managed by our beautiful yellow tablet. Sensitivity test in Microbiology labs often tells about the sensitivity profile, which can be used by doctors to guide the therapy.
- It can also be used in atypical pneumonia.
Benefits of Norflox TZ
Norflox TZ has proven beneficial in a number of conditions, like those listed above. Its side effect profile is good and does not cause much of an issue. Also, interestingly, not many cases of Clostridium difficile diarrhea have been, reported due to the usage of Norflox TZ.
It has been, seen that organisms that, are becoming resistant to newer; more potent antibiotics, are actually becoming susceptible to older antibiotics that are no longer, used. Although Norflox TZ is, used frequently; it can be one of those drugs that actually, are able to treat upcoming resistant strains of other antibiotics.
Side Effects of Norflox TZ
Like most medicines, Norflox TZ can have all the usual side effects that drugs can have. Also, it frequently can have adverse effects associated with antibiotics. We need to consider the following while taking this drug:
- Any serious allergic reaction to Norflox TZ can crop up in anyone’s life. One has to contact the nearest Emergency Room immediately; if any signs of allergy, such as rash, or itch, wheeze or discomfort following intake of Norflox TZ takes place. These are pretty rare, though.
Anyone allergic to any of the other Fluoroquinolones like Ciprofloxacin, Gatifloxacin, Sparfloxacin, and the likes should avoid taking Norflox TZ; as it contains similar molecules and is likely to incite a same immune reaction, leading to allergic manifestations.
- Prolonged use of it, like any other antibiotics, has the potential to cause oral and vaginal thrush. This is due to the fact that, extended intake in Norflox TZ kills the good bacteria that harbor in these orifices, therefore; leading to thrush.
- The use of Norflox TZ, like other oral antibiotics, can trigger Clostridium difficile induced diarrhea, as we have discussed above. This is again due to the fact that, prolonged exposure to antibiotics; can kill the good commensal bacteria in our gut, causing diarrhea. Such a weird fact that the drug that protects from diarrhea can lead to diarrhea.
Norflox TZ, our beloved and longtime friend, is an effective drug against many bacteria. We need to use our friend in an appropriate manner for it to remain effective for us.