The October month is declared as the breast cancer awareness month of the year. During this time, everyone indulges in researching breast cancer survivors. Also there has been various research on breast cancer treatment and a cure. Women also remember this time to schedule their yearly mammogram. Here we will take you through some important facts on breast cancer that you should know including its shocking past records.
To support this cause and to spread awareness, everyone wears a pink ribbon, fundraisers offer special products, and use the pastel sea of colour. The pink ribbon is an international symbol of breasts cancer awareness. This concept was initiated in 1991 when the Susan G. Komen Foundation distributed pink ribbons to the New York City’s race participants for breast cancer survivors.
Breast Cancer is a Global Issue
Now, people celebrate this cause all over the world. Thus, they involve in annual campaigns, thousands of organisations, and educate everyone about the importance of breast cancer awareness.
According to the World Health Organization, breast cancer is found in women all around the world. It is taking away the lives of hundreds of women each year and distressing countries at all heights of modernization.
Things you should know about Breast Cancer
To know more about the disease and breast cancer treatment, learn some facts mentioned below:
1. Breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women after skin cancer and lung cancer. The breast cancer treatments and increased screening help a woman survive with the disease.
2. Now, more and more woman understands the importance of warning signs and they want to learn about self-exams, treatment options and second opinions. With the help of this, they feel prepared to confront the disease.
3. Genetic mutation known as BRCA1 and BRCA2 can also enhance the chances of mounting the breast and/or ovarian cancer. Though many breast cancers are irregular and don’t show the genetic sign.
4. Obesity is also one of the reason for Breast cancer. The reason is due to the estrogen is carried in fat cells. It means the more fat cells are there, the more estrogen is present in the body. Older women with estrogen have higher chances of breast cancer risk.
Breast Cancer Treatments Available
1. The mammogram is an essential screening device that detects breast cancer. This device is the most useful devices that have saved millions of lives today.
2. Immunotherapy is a trusted breast cancer treatment option that helps the body’s immune system to fight with cancer.
3. A woman who has cancer only in one breast is also in a risk to have new cancer in her other breast or other areas of the same breast.
4. There are more chances for Caucasian women to develop breast cancer than African or American women. But African-American women chances are more to death because of breast cancer.
5. Men can also get breast cancer if their family member or close male or female relatives have the disease.
6. The symptoms of breast cancer can be any that distinguishes the breast look, feel the size, impulsive nipple discharge, or a lump.
Facts of Breast Cancer Diagnosis
Here are some shocking figurative facts on breast cancer:
1. About one in 8 women will develop breast cancer during her lifetime.It means 12% of women in the world suffer from it.
2. Men also get breast cancer. Though there are fewer chances with about 1 in 1,000 men.
3. It was estimated that 268,600 new cases are diagnosed with breast cancer in women in the U.S. and 62,930 new cases for non-invasive (in situ) breast cancer this year.
4. This year, it is estimated that 2,670 men are diagnosed with breast cancer.
5. On an average of 2 minutes, a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer in the United States.
6. There are 15.2% of all new female breast cancer cases in the U.S.
Facts on Survival
There are more than 3.5 million breast cancer survivors in the United States.
It has been noticed that 62% of breast cancer cases are detected at a later stage. Breast cancer treatments have a 99% survival rate for 5-years.
Can you Live for 20 Years with Breast Cancer?
About 90% of women with early breast cancer signs can survive at least 5 years after the diagnosis.
Conversely, it is estimated that about 20% to 30% of women will face this disease again. This estimation is a part of the five-year survival statistics.
Good News about Breast Cancer
Many research have been conducted to find a cure to the disease. The studies revealed that the reduced hormone replacement therapy prescription for older women after menopause has diminished the chances of breast cancer.
The death rates are declining since 1990 because of better treatment option, screening, early detection, increased awareness, and frequently enhanced treatment options.
Therefore, on this breast cancer awareness month, support this cause by wearing pink. And, keeping these above facts in mind, look for best breast cancer treatment options at the initial stage.