In India, about 1 in 100 people are affected by rheumatoid arthritis or stiff achy joints. This is quite a common knee pain that can have both short term as well as long-term problems. To know more about stiff achy joints, continue reading this post and learn about the home remedies available for the joint pain.
Many short-term knee problems can have a bad influence on your health. Even the patients suffering from normal knee pain might have severe discomfort. Thus in such conditions, one needs to consult a doctor.
If you are suffering from joint pain, you can get relief at home as well. Here are a few home remedies that can help you get relief from knee or joint pain.
Involve in Physical Activity
Exercising and spending time at the gym is good for everyone. It is the best way to get relief from stiff achy joints. There is a particular set of exercises that helps to strengthen your body. Those exercises also help in the movement of joints.
Even a few exercises can reduce the growth of osteoarthritis (OA). This is the most common cause of knee pain. Physical activity boosts the health, digestive system, body fat, and improves cartilage tissue.
Here are some best physical movements you can do:
- Flowing actions, such as tai chi and yoga
- Water exercises
The people who work along with a physical therapist have better chances to treat their joint pain. The therapist provides strengthening muscle exercise that helps in supporting joints. Before moving on to workout session, start with stretching that will warm up your body. After which you should move on to your rigorous workout session.
Here is an exercise that can be tried at home to strengthen your muscles:
- Grip a chair with both your hands and do squats for 10 minutes
- Sit on a chair and stand and sit repeatedly. Do this in slow-speed without taking hand support
- Raise a leg and strengthen it while lying or sitting down
- Step up and down on a stair for some time
Correct Postures should be followed Every time
Here are a few good posture measures that can help you reduce your stiff achy joints:
- Avoid sitting on low seating areas such as low chairs and couches
- If necessary then keep a pillow on your seating to raise the area
- Check that you have good back support while sitting and are not sagging or leaning on your back
- Wear a supportive shoe that helps you with broken arches or caused due to some abnormal force
- Avoid sitting for long hours in the same posture. Sitting in the same posture for long hours can make your body stiff and painful.
Aromatherapy Massage Relaxes your Body
Oils are an essential component in medicinal purposes. It helps to reduce your body pain. A study conducted in 2008 suggested that massaging your body with oil is helpful. Thus, it helps to improve the pain and proper functioning of joints as well. Even at times, osteoarthritis can be improved with this therapy.
For aromatherapy, you can use ointments such as ginger, cinnamon, bergamot, cedarwood, chamomile, mastic, and sesame oil. These massage oils function quickly in offering relief from pain, stiffness, and motion.
An aromatherapy massage is performed by a therapist. He/she uses some essential oil and includes a few drops of massage lotion and applies directly to your skin.
Some of the popular aromatherapy massages include:
- deep tissue
- hot stone massage
Consume Healthy Food
Mediterranean food is considered to be great food. Because it includes a healthy variety that contains nutrition for your body. It also works as the anti-inflammatory properties to keep your body in the right shape. Those people with excess weight have better chances of stiff achy joints than normal weighted people. Therefore, one with extra weight needs to shed down the extra weight. It will gradually reduce the joints pain as well.
Include healthy food diet such as a balanced diet:
- Include a diet high in fruit, vegetables, and fiber
- Reduce your intake of meat, animal fat, and other fatty foods
- Add more nuts and seeds in your diet
Many societies including the Arthritis Foundation recommend that a healthy Mediterranean-style diet offers fresh food.
Apply Heat and Cold Pad on Stiff Achy Joints
The heat and cold sensation on joint pain can be an effective remedy to get relief. This trick is especially helpful for those suffering from lower back pain. The remedy has been a trusted and effective treatment and recommended for many arthritis patients.
You can use the ice and heat in the following three ways:
- Wrap ice in a cloth and apply on the swelling, inflammation or any pain caused due to external force.
- The heat provided through a heating pad or hot water bottle relaxes muscles. Thus, it enhances the lubrication which causes stiffness.
- Heat can also be provided to recover flexibility in the morning after you wake up and diminishes swelling caused later in the day.
Keep a check of the hot item before applying it. Most importantly, test it before, when an older person or anyone who can’t communicate is applying the heat pad.
Thus, whenever any stiff achy joint occurs, use the above home remedies and get a solution to your problem easily.