Eating Disorder is a condition where a person goes through unusual eating habits. Children are prone to this condition as they do not understand the actual hunger. However, even adults are seen going through the behavior of abnormal eating habits. Traits of such eating habits result in hampering one’s health in the longer run. In the case of children, unusual eating habits have serious consequences.
It is found out that one suffers from an eating disorder during their teens or early adulthood. However, a few instances have shown young kids being affected by it. The cause behind such disorder has no substantial evidence yet. However, doctors are of the opinion that the cause is a mix of various factors. It is an amalgamation of behavioral, biological and social factors. Thus, to understand the concept of this condition read the post ahead.
Type of Eating Disorders:
In this condition, a child rejects the intake of the required amount of food being offered. This is because they fear to turn into a fat person.
In this condition, a child is indulged in over intake of food. Hence, they end up taking out the food. This mostly results in vomiting.
Everyone is mostly aware of this condition. In this condition, a child craves for more food. Hence, they overeat at minimum intervals. Also, it is followed by the fact that even when they are not hungry, they tend to eat.
- The above-mentioned scenarios can cause intensive harm to a child’s health.
- Also, if we differentiate the condition between males and females, there is a gap.
- Research showed that the figure of 5 to 15 percent of male are affected by bulimia and anorexia. In the case of binge eating, 35 percent of males are affected by it.
- While females are counted among the rest of the figures. This shows that they are the most affected lot.
Visible Effects of Eating Disorder on Health
- Low blood pressure/high blood pressure
- Always feeling tired/weak/lazy
- Slow heartbeats
- Irregular periods (in girls)
- Delayed puberty
- Weak bones
- Fatty liver
- Sleep Apnea
Ways to deal with Eating Disorder in your Children
Every parent needs to take the first step by diagnosing the condition. There are various symptoms that are similar in many ways. Hence, the parent needs to take their child for a health checkup. Before consulting a doctor, observe their pattern of food habits. Take note of all their behavior as well. These factors will help the doctor to reveal any underlying condition.
2. Consult Dietitian
After this, the role of a dietitian comes into the scenario. Once the child is diagnosed with an eating disorder, a dietician will help you with the meal plan. Therefore, this is a type of treatment that does not include many medications. Hence, your child will need to follow a new routine of lifestyle. That lifestyle change will include some changes in your food intake. Taking part in physical activity is also beneficial.
Doctors’ advice to get your child enrolled in any activity. This will result in the healthy growth of your child. Also, they will consume the required amount of food they were ignoring earlier.
3. Therapists help to Overcome Fears
In extreme cases, when a child is overweight or malnourished, they often fear things. Those children are not active in their school (class). They mostly fear of being bullied over their weight. However, if they get appropriate guidance, they can overcome their fear. Taking a few sessions with the child therapist will turn fruitful. Your child requires confidence and the zeal to be active in any activity. Hence, pay attention to their daily schedule.
- If you notice a sudden change in your child’s eating habits, take a note of it. If that behavior continues for more than 2 weeks, consult a doctor.
- Else you can also change their choice of food. Offer them something different and new. It will help them to try on the new food.
- Always be patient! Every work needs a period of time to get accomplished. Show your concern to them.
- Avoid being harsh or too direct with your kids. It will turn them adamant. This is not good for their growing health
- Always make sure to check on them when they are active in any activity. Too much pressure lets them get to indulge more in food. Hence, try to create a balanced diet meal.
- Proper intake of regular meals will keep every concern at bay.
Eating Disorder is not a huge concern until it is controlled at the right time. Therefore, once you detect the cause of your child’s irregular food habits, take immediate action. Children are clueless about their own health conditions. Thus, every parent must keep an eye on their child’s daily activity.