Diabetes is a disease that stays with you for a lifetime. The way the body handles the glucose is affected by diabetes. Glucose is a kind of sugar in the blood. Most people have type 2 diabetes. Diabetes is a state when the blood sugar is high than normal.
Insulin is the hormone made by the pancreas which helps to convert glucose from the food intake into energy. People who are suffering from the type 2 diabetes make insulin but it is not used by the cell as often as they should. It is called insulin resistance by the doctors. The sugar built up in your body when the pancreas makes more insulin and tries to get glucose into the cell and then it cannot keep up. There are things which are combined together to cause type 2 diabetes.
- Genes – Different bits of DNA affects how your body makes insulin and it has been found by the scientist.
- Extra weight- Diabetes is also caused if you are obese as it causes insulin resistance. Due to obesity it also affects the kids and teenagers as well.
- Too much glucose from your liver- Your liver makes and sends out glucose when you have a low blood sugar. The blood sugar goes up once you eat and then the liver slows down and store glucose for later use. But there are some people whose liver does not makes glucose and therefore it causes diabetes.
- Bad communication between cells- Sometimes it becomes very difficult for the cells to send the right message. These problems affect the way your cells make insulin or glucose and this causes diabetes.
- Broken beta cells– The blood sugar gets thrown off if the wrong amount of insulin is sent by cell which makes insulin. This causes high blood sugar and sometimes it can also damage these cells.
The symptoms of diabetes are difficult to acknowledge at first. People may have type 2 diabetes for years without even knowing about it. Some of the symptoms are as follows-
Increase in thirst and frequent urination-
You may feel thirsty and drink a lot of water and urinate frequently when excess sugar gets built up in the bloodstream and causes fluid to be pulled from the tissue.
It increases hunger because due to less insulin the sugar does not move into the cell and the muscles and organs are left with less energy.
As we have seen earlier that diabetes increases hunger and you end up eating more still you lose weight the body uses alternative fuels stored in the muscle and fat as it does not have the ability to metabolize glucose. As excess glucose is released in the urine so calories are lost.
You may become tired, irritated and frustrated if your cells have less sugar.
Fluid may be pulled from the lenses of your eyes due to high blood sugar and it may lead to blurred vision and affect the eyesight.
Slow healing infection
If you have high blood sugar then it takes time to heal the infection.
Areas of darkened skin
Some people may have dark patches in the armpit, neck or other parts of the body it may be due to insulin resistance which leads to high blood sugar.
5 foods that trigger diabetes
The 5 foods that must be avoided when you have type 2 diabetes are as follows-
Highly processed carbohydrates
– food with highly processed carbohydrates such as white flour, sugar, white rice, cakes, bread and muffins must be avoided. These have bran, fibre, vitamins and minerals which makes it a whole food and easy to digest. These foods increase the level of blood sugar and insulin which can lead to type 2 diabetes.
– beverages which contain sugar such as sodas, lemonade, cold drinks and fruit drinks must be avoided as it increases the level of sugar in the blood. So it is advisable to avoid taking these beverages as much as possible and also to not have tea and coffee containing sugar.
Saturated and Trans fats-
saturated and trans fats increase cholesterol level in the blood which increases the level of high blood sugar. The trans fats come due to fried foods and packaged baked foods in restaurants and saturated fats come from fatty meats, full-fat milk, cheese and butter. The saturated and trans fats can be avoided by cooking and baking food with olive oil and canola oils. Have nuts for snacks instead of having sweets, have a salad without cheese and have poultry and meat without the skin.
Red and processed meats
– Red and processed meats are highly linked by type 2 diabetes and are advisable always to avoid as much as possible. Processed meat such as bacon and mutton contains a high level of sodium and nitrites it leads to high blood sugar in the body.
Fruit flavoured yogurt-
The fruit flavoured yoghurt has carbs and sugar and is made from milk with low fat. One cup of fruit yoghurt may contain 47 grams of sugar that mean 81% of calories. So fruit flavoured yoghurt must be avoided. Frozen yoghurt also contains a high level of sugar so it must be avoided also. White yoghurte whole milk yoghurt contains no sugar and it is best for controlling weight and appetite. White yoghurt is always advisable for a diabetes patient.
The risk of cardiovascular diseases such as heart attack, stroke and high blood pressure may increase due to diabetes.
Diabetes may lead to kidney failure or damage as it affects the filtering system of tiny blood vessel clusters which the kidney contains.
The blood vessels of the retina can also get damaged due to a high level of sugar in the blood that may lead to cataracts and glaucoma.
So this article basically provides you with a basic knowledge about diabetes, symptoms, causes, complications and the foods which must not be taken which trigger diabetes 2.