[Related blood test : CBC test]
Your blood is the life source of every cell, tissue, gland and organ in your body. It’s the carrier of nutrients and is your life force. We do care about our health – that’s what we think! However, are we really taking care of our blood? Probably not. A simple CBC blood test will let us know that a lot of us suffer from low red or white blood cell count. Red blood cells carry oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body and also also carry carbon dioxide back to the lungs so it can be exhaled, thus a shortage can lead to iron deficiency. On the other hand, low blood count of the white blood cells directly affects the immune system, making us vulnerable to infections such as pneumonia.
You can build healthier blood, for an active and strong body and mind. Here’s how:
- Move: The best way to build oxygen-rich blood is to just move. Exercise helps your heart pump blood and bring in fresh oxygen.
- Eat more legumes: Keep your cholesterol in check and heart healthy by eating legumes and beans, which are rich in fiber and nutrients.
- Yes, iron makes you strong: Iron is at the core of hemoglobin, making it important for strong blood. Lentils, Kidney beans, green vegetables and prunes can be your go-to sources among others for your iron consumption. Having said that, ensure you keep a check and not go overboard – excess can give rise to diabetes, lung infection or heart concerns.
- Take a B-vitamin supplement. The B-vitamins B-6, B-12, and folate are essential to lower the amount of homocysteine in your blood. High levels of homocysteine have been linked to arterial clogging and heart disease, making it critical to control.
- Organic skincare does matter: Lotions, creams and cosmetics get directly absorbed into the blood. Toxins are avoidable. Go organic!
- Air freshener: Irrespective of how much you like your home to be fragrant, don’t make friends with that nice looking and smelling air freshener, as it gets into our blood as we breathe. You’re directly breathing in hormone-altering chemicals through those innocent-looking sprays. You could use essential oil or fragrant soy candles.
- Make friends with fruits and vegetables: Did you know these humble greens are packed with nutrients that reduce arterial plaque? Maybe it’s time to be friends.
- Just quit smoking, already: Don’t allow cigarette smoke to clog your arteries. Breathe free.
- Drink water: The more water you drink, the more fluids leave the blood vessels, helping them relax and regulate blood pressure.
And of course, preserve that smile. It’s too precious.