You may not be aware that imbalance in your blood sugar can trigger serious health conditions as diabetes but also unpleasant symptoms such as irritability, shakiness, fatigue and caffeine cravings. Luckily, there are many ways to boost your blood sugar balance, such as:
(1) Bring some matcha to your diet: As per a 2010 study, EGCG, which is one of the most active compounds in green tea, has a significantly stabilizing effect on blood sugar. And matcha as you know is the whole green-tea leaf, so that’s a big deal.
(2) Chromium, anyone: Chromium is a lesser-known supplement but has shown promise in reduce blood glucose levels in diabetics. In fact, low levels have been linked to high blood sugar. Remember to check with your physician before you pop in any tablets – 1,000 mcg of chromium daily has showed therapeutic benefits in various students.
(3) Snack smartly: Snack up all you want but be smart about it – look for snacks that are lighter, high in protein, fat and fiber. Carbs would just end up making you feel worse if you are in the habit of snacking through the day.
(4) Ever heard of adaptogens? Adaptogens are a unique set of natural ingredients that help the body respond to stress. They are great for balancing your glucose levels because of their close connection with cortisol and blood sugar levels. Ginseng, holy basil and licorice root are the more commonly available adaptogens, which would enable you balance your physical and cognitive performance.
(5) “Chillied” out: Research says that spices, especially cinnamon, lowers blood sugar. Turmeric fights inflammation and helps in insulin resistance. Cinnamon can come in handy while preparing tea, coffee, oatmeal or even a smoothie. Turmeric with hot milk is a booster for great sleep as well.
(6) Caffeine: Caffeine affects each of us differently, and the relationship between it and blood sugar is being researched, but as limiting caffeine may help with good sleep and can also potentially help if you have a high blood sugar, you could try limiting it to know the possible benefits.
Here are 15 signs to look out for if you aren’t sure whether you have a blood sugar imbalance.