Addiction towards screens is the main reason in lowering your eyesight. Mobile phones, television or laptops usage has crippled the very existence of our generation. As a result, the problems related to eyesight have become quite common. Apart from our poor lifestyle with imbalanced, unhygienic diet further contributes to failing eyesight. When your eyes are tired and watery and start seeing blurred objects, such conditions are clubbed under the category of “lowering eyesight.”
This article elaborates on the causes of lowering vision, top 5 symptoms of lowering eyesight along with treatment and food items that can boost the health of your eyes.
Major Causes of low Eyesight:
Here are some common causes for vision impairment due to lowering eyesight have been listed below.
- Macular Degeneration: Macula affects the central part of the retina. It promotes sharp and central vision. Degeneration of the macula results in poor vision. It leads to complete vision loss in some cases. While dry macula degeneration is slowly progressive, wet degeneration is a quick progressing degeneration.
- Glaucoma: Glaucoma results in damaging of the optic nerve leading to complete loss of vision in most of the cases. This damage is mainly due to the increased pressure of the eye fluids. Generally, glaucoma is not associated with any early symptoms. Thus, early detection is difficult. Treatment is possible when detected in the primary stage.
- Cataract: Clouding of the eye lens causes cataract. The amount of light reaching the retina is very minimal and thus, the image formation gets blurred. Certainly, cataracts are curable via lens corrective surgeries.
- Diabetic Retinopathy: Diabetes leads to several complications to the eyes. Development of tiny vessels in the eyes leads to damage of the eye retina. Laser eye surgeries correct the damaged retina. However, it is a recurring situation. The only permanent solution is to keep the blood sugar under control.
- Traumatic Brain Injury: Damage to the eye sensory areas of the brain leads to optic center damages. As a result, causes lowering of eyesight.
Depending upon the cause, the severity and type of vision impairment may vary.
Common Sign and Symptoms of weak eyesight in adults:
Patients must recognize early symptoms and avail timely medical checkup to prevent eyesight weakness. Know about the top 5 common sign & symptoms of low vision:
- Headache: Headache indicates as the first symptom for lowering of vision. It causes due to an increased strain on your eyes. Due to which it causes blurred or minimized eyesight.
- Double Vision: Patient sees double images or ghost images while focusing on the objects. The brain interprets two different images are as a single image. Ultimately it results in the lazy eye or vision losses.
- Rocky Appearance: Patients sees sudden appearance of red spots or rocky spots while visualizing the objects. It causes due to the development of central spots on the cornea of the patient eyes.
- Tunnel Vision: Tunnel vision is the first symptoms for peripheral vision loss. In this situation, the patient is able to clearly see the central image while the corners appear blurred.
- Watering and Red eyes: Due to increased strain patients may feel the increased watering of the eyes. Also, the eyes appear red with cracky lines on the cornea. It results in long-term complications when left untreated.
Lowering of your eyesight can be recovered. Channelize your diet, lifestyle and the right treatment for your eyes.
What is Visual Impairment?
Visual impairment, also known as vision impairment or vision loss, is a decreased ability to see to a degree that causes problems not fixable by usual means, such as glasses. Some also include those who have a decreased ability to see because they do not have access to glasses or contact lenses.
Common Types of Vision Impairment:
- In Central vision loss, a blind spot develops in the central eye. However, peripheral vision remains intact.
- Contrast to central vision loss, peripheral vision loss leads to disability in peripheral vision.
- Extreme sensitivity to light results in blurred vision under the lighted condition.
- Night blindness.
- Generalized haze results in an overall blurry vision.
- Similarly, sensitivity causes difficulty for the patient to distinguish between objects of similar color tone.
Spectacles can’t cure the above conditions. Doctors recommend any further treatment as required. While myopia and hypermetropia are the eye problems that can be rectified by wearing spectacles.
Foods To Improve Your Eyesight:
We have listed out the 5 best foods for eyesight improvement. All foods are generally available in all markets at reasonable prices, you should start eating these foods now to improve your eyesight naturally.
- Almonds: Nutritionists and dietitians highly emphasize the consumption of Nuts and dry fruit. Almonds are good for intake due to their high content of Vitamin E. This Vitamin protects the eyes from age-related macular damage by acting as an antioxidant. Apart from almonds, you can also take sunflower seeds, peanuts of hazelnut as per your choice. Include almonds in your breakfast cereals to make and your morning meal much more nutritious.
- Dairy Products: Milk and other dairy products contain a high amount of vitamin A and zinc. Both these supplements work in conjunction to help in vision improvement and protect the eyes from damage. While vitamin A acts as a protecting agent for the cornea, zinc helps in supplementing the movement of this Vitamin from the liver to the eyes.
- Fish: Health benefits of Omega- 3 fatty acids for the eyes are less known. The fatty acids contribute to vision development and prevent the retina from any damage. Fishes are a good source of Omega- 3 fatty acids. Amongst the fishes, wild salmon is the best variety for healthy eyes. They are low in saturated fats and high in the Omega- 3 fatty acids. Incorporate fish in your meals for at least once or twice every week.
- Eggs: Eggs are power-packed with Vitamin A, zeaxanthin, lutein, and zinc. All of these are vital sources of nutrition for the eyes. Each element has a crucial role in the protection of the eyes.
- Whole Grains: Whole Grains are better than their counterparts. This is due to the low glycemic content and high nutrition value. Low glycemic content in whole grains helps to minimize the age-related macular damage to the eyes.
Take Good Care of your Eyes:
Lowering of eyesight can turn into fatal vision loss if not treated at the right time. Thus, it is imperative to detect the early symptoms and approach for medical assistance to avoid any delays. When diagnosed with low eyesight, follow the instructions prescribed by the doctor. Practice the various yoga postures recommended for eye health. Diet, along with proper exercise and routine, can help to reverse the eye damage. Further, stick to these schedules for a longer time to avail the maximum health benefits.